In 2019 Australia will host their first ever Eurovision selection show and it seems they’re pulling out all the stops. Earlier this month broadcaster SBS announced the first four of acts that would take part in their live show in the Gold Coast in February. This included Kate Miller-Heidke, Sheppard, Mark Vincent and Electric Fields. As promised, more acts have been added to the roster and today we got another three joining the contest.Continue reading
As we enter 2017, Eurovision national finals are in full flow. To keep you up to date with all the Eurovision happenings, we have brought back our feature; ’15 Things We Learned This Week’ which we will continue to post every Sunday evening to recap the Eurovision news for the past week! So without further ado, here is the 15 things we learned this week…Continue reading
It’s getting to that time of year when thousands of students up and down the country will be starting their university courses for the first time. To kick things off in style, Queen’s University Belfast Students’ Union will throw a jepic party in Mandela Hall to welcome all their first year students at their Freshers’ Ball on 29th September. Continue reading
1. John and Edward Grimes are identical twins who were born three months premature on 16 October 1991 in Dublin and go by a portmanteau of their first names John and Edward, Jedward.
2. The twins are no stranger to reality TV shows having made their debut on the 2009 series of the X-Factor, mentored by Louis Walsh and finishing in sixth place. The duo have also participated in Celebrity Big Brother 8 where they placed third behind Atomic Kitten singer Kerry Katona and My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding star Paddy Doherty.
3. The pair moved to an international stage when they were selected to represent Ireland at the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time in 2011 with their song ‘Lipstick’ and finished in eighth place. They were so successful that they were chosen again the following year for their song ‘Waterline’ which proved less of a hit finishing in 19th place overall.Continue reading
1. Vienna officially became the host city for Eurovision 2015 this week when the Host City Insignia Exchange took place on Monday 26th at Vienna’s City Hall.
2. Shortly after this ceremony, the semi final draw took place and we now know which countries will compete in which semi finals. For more info read our story here.
Eurovision Stage for 2015
3. The host venue Weiner Stadthalle has released official plans for the stage for the Eurovision 2015. It will consist of 1288 individual pillars and measures 44 metres in width, 14.3 metres in height and up to 22 metres in depth. The LED pillars can produce a wide variety of lighting effects as can the 11 metre diameter Continue reading
Ginger Spice could have been UK Eurovision entry 2014?
The last few years the UK have selected a well known person or group to represent them at Eurovision. We’ve had power ballad Queen Bonnie Tyler, boy band legends Blue and crooner Englebert Humperdink. The UK entry is selected by a committee and not voted for by the public so there was never a list of competitors or any live shows with competing entries battling out, so this article is based on some of the rumours we’d heard. It was a shocking change of tact then when they decided to go for a relatively unknown name: Molly Smitten Downes. But what were the other options?Continue reading