Luca Hanni is the Swiss pick for Eurovision 2019. Find out more about the singer with our 10 Things About…Luca Hanni piece!
1. Luca Hänni was born in Bern on 8 October 1994 and is a Swiss singer-songwriter and model.
2. Luca’s love of music began at a very young age. At kindergarten he received drum lessons and at the age of nine, he taught himself playing the guitar and piano. After finishing school, Luca began the training as a bricklayer. This ceased in 2012 when he decided to leave this trade in favour of pursuing a music career full time.
3. In 2012, he applied in the ninth season of the singing talent show ‘Deutschland sucht den Superstar’, the German equivalent of the Pop Idol franchise. He reached the final where he competed against Daniele Negroni. He won the show with 53% of the audience votes. He was the first non-German to win the show and to date is the youngest ever winner. The prize for winning the contest included a €500,000 recording contract with Universal Music Group. He released his debut album ‘My Name Is Luca’ with the record label on 18 May 2012. It peaked at number 1 in Austria and Switzerland and number 2 in Germany in the album charts. The album was certified Gold in Switzerland and Austria.
4. Singles from his debut album include ‘I Will Die for You’ and ‘Don’t Think about Me’. ‘Don’t Think About Me’ went to the top of the singles charts in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. As such, he was the first Swiss citizen to reach number 1 on the German charts in 52 years. Luca has had great success with his three subsequent albums ‘Living the Dream’ (2013), ‘Dance Until We Die’ (2014) and ‘When We Wake Up’ (2015). All of these went top ten in the Swiss Albums Chart.
5. As well as being an accomplished musician, Luca is also a male model. In 2012 he was chosen by men’s underwear brand Nick Tyler for their ad campaign. Luca also creates clothes for his own model label.
6. Luca is known for his approachability and often shares his life with his fans through social media, answering fan mail, or meet and greets at his concerts. He comments that
‘My fans are fantastic – they are the beating heart of my career. Without them, I would never have got to where I am today. They are a vital part of my work, and I’m looking forward to continuing my music career together with them’.
7. He loves nature, particularly when walking his dog Nala, a chihuahua.
8. Luca is also very athletic and partakes in a number of sports. He has even competed in the TV show Ninja Warrior.
9. Luca was announced as Switzerland’s representative at Eurovision Song Contest 2019. He will sing the song ‘She Got Me’. Fans may recall that he appeared as the Swiss jury spokesperson at Eurovision 2017!
10. Luca featured in a YouTube reaction video where he listened to some of the other songs competing at Eurovision in 2019. When he watched the video for Tamta’s song replay, he threw some shade at the Cypriot singer saying it was very similar to their song the year before ‘Fuego’ by Eleni Foureira.
Check out Luca’s video for ‘She Got Me’: