Michela Pace will represent Malta at Eurovision 2019. Find out more about the singer with 10 Things About…Michela Pace!
1. Michela Pace was born on 25 January 2001 on the small island of Gozo in Malta and is a Maltese singer.
2. Michela describes herself as an average teenager. However, she explains:
‘… but when I start singing, it’s as if my voice takes over my entire being. Aretha Franklin once said that you sing soul with your whole body. I know exactly what she means’.
3. She loves a wide range of music from pop and country to soul.
4. Her voice is described by many as ‘memorable and powerful, with a breathtaking breaking point’.
5. Michela has competed in a number of European singing competitions. This includes winning the ‘Music Talent League’ in Lithuania, being chosen as a finalist in the ‘Baltic Voices’ competition and attending the ‘Ultimate Artist’ development programme in Hertfordshire, where she worked with Rihanna’s producer.
6. Michela participated in the Maltese Eurovision national selection in 2017. Her song was called ‘Cruise Control’. It was not one of the sixteen songs that was chosen to advance to the live final. The competition was eventually won by Claudia Faniello who competed at Eurovision with song ‘Breathlessly’.
7. Aged only 18, Michela competed in the inaugural season of Malta’s version of The X Factor in 2018/19. She sailed through the first audition, boot camp and competed in the Girls’ category, mentored by Howard Keith Debono.
8. Michela made it to the live shows and having impressed with her rendition of songs like LP’s ‘Lost On You’, Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s ‘The Power of Love’, Aerosmith’s ‘I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing’ and ‘Shallows’ from ‘A Star is Born’ soundtrack, she secured herself a spot in the top 4 in the final. In the final she competed against Petra, Owen Leuellen and Nicole Frendo and was eventually crowned the first ever winner of X-Factor Malta on 26 January.
9. As part of her prize for her win, Michela will represent Malta at the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 and has also signed a contract with Sony Music Italy.
10. In March 2019, it was revealed that she will sing the song ‘Chameleon’ at Eurovision in May. The song’s lyrics and music are written by Joacim Persson (Kelly Clarkson, John Legend Kylie Minogue, Lady Gaga, Jonas Brothers and Robyn), Borislav Milanov (Equinox, Jana Burceska, Kristian Kostov and Poli Genova), Paula Winger and Johan Alkaenas.