Sergey Lazarev will return to Eurovision for Russia in 2019. Find out more about the singer with our 10 Things About…Sergey Lazarev!
1. Sergey Vyacheslavovich Lazarev was born in Moscow on 1 April 1983. He is a Russian singer, dancer and actor.
2. At the age of 4, he was already competing in and winning artistic gymnastic competitions. However, his parents soon noticed that Sergey was more interested in music. At the age of 8, he began singing in classical choir and soon thereafter joined the popular children’s singing group ‘Neposody’ (where Yulia and Lena from globally famous (and former Eurovision Song Contest competitors t.A.T.u also began their careers).
3. Sergey has been participating in and winning various music contests since the age of 12. These include Italy’s Bravo Bravissimo International Contest and the prestigious Morning Star TV Music Contest.
4. In 2002, he joined forces with fellow ‘Neposody’ singer and friend, Vlad Topalov, and created the hit duo Smash!! The band’s first album sold over 1 million copies and a large tour across the country followed. Their hits include ‘Should Have Loved You More’, ‘Belle’ and ‘Obsession’. The band split up only one week after the release, with both Lazarev and Topalov deciding to pursue solo careers.
5. As well as singing, Sergey is an accomplished actor. Aged 12, Sergey joined the Fidgets Band and appeared in sketches on the children’s sketch comedy show Yeralash, as well as other popular Russian TV shows ‘Guess the Tune’, ‘Grasp Me’, ‘The Morning Star’, ‘Look Out’, ‘The Blue Light’ and the ‘Slavonic Bazaar’. As an adult, his roles have included lead roles in Pushkinski Theatre’s productions of ‘Romeo and Juliet’ and ‘Karamazov’.
6. Sergey embarked on a solo singing career in 2005 with the release of his debut solo album ‘Don’t Be Fake’. The album included the singles ‘Fake’, ‘Eye of the Storm’, ‘Lost Without Your Love’ and ‘Just Because You Walk Away’. The album was well received and sold 300,000 copies (Platinum) in Russia and earned him the award for Best New Act at the 2006 MUZ TV Awards.
7. Since his debut album, Sergey has released a further five albums; ‘TV Show’ (2007), ‘Electric Touch’ (2010), ‘Lazarev.’ (2013), ‘V Epitsentre’ (2017) and ‘The One’ (2018). He has had 24 top 40 singles in the Russian Singles Chart including collaborations with US rapper T-Pain, Eurovision winner Dima Bilan and anthemic hits like ‘Take It Off’, ‘7 Wonders’, ‘Stumblin”, ‘Cure the Thunder’, ‘Electric Touch’ and ‘My Lonely Life’.
8. 2019 is not Sergey’s first brush with the Eurovision. In 2008, he was a competed in the Russian selection show with the song ‘The Flyer’, however he finished in fourth losing out to eventual Eurovision winner Dima Bilan. Sergey was announced as the Russian pick for Eurovision 2016. His song ‘You Are the Only One’ was highly praised for the vocal, the staging and the composition however it finished in third place losing out to Ukraine’s Jamala. Many citing the Russian annexation of the Crimea a year earlier as the reason for the result. On that annexation, Sergey controversially stated to Ukrainian television
‘Maybe my own Russian fans will throw tomatoes at me, but this is the way it is for me. When I travel to Yalta, for me it’s Ukraine.’
He later retracted his comments and said his words had been taken out of context and had been shortened by the broadcaster for their own agenda.
9. In December 2016, Sergey announced that he has a two-year-old son, Nikita, after pictures of both attending church were captured by paparazzi. Nikita was later featured in the music video for ‘Так красиво’ in 2017.
10. Sergey will return to Eurovision for Russia in 2019 with the song ‘Scream’. He teams up again with the ‘Dream Team’ Philip Kirkorov and Dimitris Kontopoulos who were also behind his 2016 song ‘You Are the Only One’.