Serhat returns to Eurovision in 2019 for San Marino. Find out more about the singer with our 10 Things About…Serhat feature!
1. Ahmet Serhat Hacıpaşalıoğlu was born on 24 October 1964 and is known professionally as Serhat. He is a Turkish singer, producer and television presenter.
2. Serhat was born on October 24, 1964 in Istanbul, Turkey. His father, İsmail Hakkı, was a naval officer who was born in Trabzon where his mother was also born.
3. He is a qualified dentist having graduated from Faculty of Dentistry of Istanbul University in 1988.
4. In 1990, he completed two months of compulsory military service in Burdur.
5. Serhat started his producing career by establishing his own company in 1994, End Productions. In the same year, he also started to produce and host a quiz show on TRT called Riziko! (Turkish version of the American quiz show Jeopardy!).
6. With his company, he also organizes some annual events such as High Schools Music Contest, Megahit-International, Mediterranean Song Contest and Dance Marathon (a dance competition between high schools and universities).
7. He started his musical career in 1997 and in a career that has spanned three decades his hits have included songs such as ‘Rüya’, ‘Ben Bir Daha’ ‘Total Disguise’ ‘Chocolate Flavour and ‘I Was So Lonely’.
8. Serhat represented San Marino in the Eurovision Song Contest 2016 in Stockholm with the song ‘I Didn’t Know’. He competed in the first semi-final and failed to qualify to final, finishing in 12th place. After his appearance at Eurovision, a dance remix of the song entered the Dance Club Songs chart of the United States, peaking at number 25. Serhat became the first Turkish singer to have appeared in the chart.
9. In 2018 Serhat teamed up with Eurovision 2005 winner Elena Paparizou for a new version of his song ‘Total Disguise’.
10. Serhat will represent San Marino for a second time at the Eurovision Song Contest in 2019. He will sing the song ‘Say Na Na Na’.