Joci Papai will return to Eurovision for Hungary in 2019. Get to know the artist better with 10 Things About…Joci Papai!
1. Joci Papai whose full name is József Pápai was born in Tata in Hungary on 22 September 1981.
2. Joci is a singer and a guitarist and he is of Romani descent.
3. He has been a lover of music from a young age, heavily influenced by his older brother. He started playing guitar at the age of four and later began writing songs.
4. Joci’s favourite musical era is the 1960s and 1970s and this has helped mould his own personal style, choosing to focus on the genres of rock, pop, soul, and R&B music.
5. Joci’s big debut came in 2005 when he participated in the second season of the TV show Megasztár. While he was eliminated in the consolation rounds, it allowed him to begin a solo music career.
6. His debut song was called ‘Ne nézz így rám’.
7. Joci has collaborated with the rapper Majka on four occasions. Firstly in 2006 with ‘Nelkuled’, then again in 2013 on song ‘Nekem ez jar’ and again in 2015 and 2016 with ‘Mikor a test orexik’ and ‘Senki mas’.
8. In December 2016, Joci Papai was announced as one of the 30 acts who would compete in the Hungarian selection show for Eurovision 2017, A Dal. He advanced to the final with song ‘Origo’ and went on to win the entire contest with 34 points. He went on to place eighth in the final of Eurovision 2017, one of Hungary’s best results in recent years.
9. Since his appearance at Eurovision 2017, Joci has enjoyed great success at home with ‘Origo’ peaking at number 2 in the Hungarian top 40 and follow up single ‘Ozonviz’ entering the chart at number 5.
10. Joci returned to A Dal in 2019 with the song ‘Az en apam’. He won the contest with 26 points, beating (among others) another former Hungarian Eurovision representative Andras Kallay Suanders who competed with his new band the Middletonz.