Kobi Marimi will represent Israel at Eurovision 2019. Find out more about the singer with 10 Things About…Kobi Marimi!
1. Kobi (Yakov) Marimi was born on October 8, 1991 and is an Israeli singer and actor.
2. He was born and raised in Ramat Gan, Israel, to a Mizrahi Jewish family of Iraqi-Jewish descent.
3. Kobi started singing at the age of 13. He then graduated from High School having majored in Theatre.
4. From here he went on to study in the acting studio Nissan Nativ. During his studies he appeared in the plays ‘The Caucasian Chalk Circle’, ‘The Comic Illusion’ and ‘Prayer’.
5. Since graduating he performed in ‘Every Living Thing Needs’, ‘Chambaloo’s Treasure’ and performed the role of Natan in ‘Messiah Now’ for which he won the Promising Actor Award at the 2017 Musical Celebrations in Bat Yam. This was his Israeli Operatic debut.
6. His former jobs have included host at a pub and a cashier at a cinema.
7. He served as a soldier in the Israel Defense Forces at the Adjutant Corps.
8. Kobi Auditioned for the popular singing show ‘Israel’s Rising Star’ in 2018. Throughout the show, Kobi gained more and more public attention for his unique style and vocal capabilities, which ended with him reaching the finals before winning this year’s competition outright.
9. As a result he was selected to be the Israeli’s Eurovision pick for 2019 and will defend the Eurovision crown on home soil with the aptly named song ‘Home’
10. Since he became the Israeli representative, Kobi has become the nation’s sweetheart. ‘Home’ was written especially for him, bringing his personal story and struggles to the stage by Ohad Shargai and Inbar Weitzman.