Tamta will represent Cyprus at Eurovision 2019. Find out more about the singer with our 10 Things About…Tamta!
1. Tamta Goduadze was born 10 January 1981. Known as simply Tamta, she is a Greek-Georgian singer.
2. Tamta was born and raised in Georgia, where she started singing at the age of five.
3. When Tamta was 14, she married her 16-year-old boyfriend and soon after gave birth to their daughter Annie. While raising her daughter, she graduated from high school and attended Tbilisi State University. Her and her husband divorced after six years of marriage, and Tamta later left Georgia with their daughter and immigrated to Greece where she earned a living housekeeping with her mother.
4. It was when working as a housekeeper that one of the families she worked for heard her sing and recommended she try out for ‘Super Idol’.
5. It was on ‘Super Idol’ where she first gained recognition. She went on to place as the show’s runner-up, behind winner Stavros Konstantinou.
6. Following her appearance on ‘Super Idol’, Tamta was signed to Greek record label Minos EMI to begin a music career. Her eponymous debut studio album ‘Tamta’ was released in 2006. Since then she has racked up three more studio albums; ‘Agapise Me’ (2007), ‘Tharros I Alitheia’ (2010) and ‘Best Of Tamta’ (2017), as well as an impressive back catalogue of singles, most of which have topped the Greek airplay charts.
7. Tamta became a mentor on ‘X Factor Georgia’ in 2014, and then on to be a mentor on ‘X Factor Greece’ in 2016.
8. As well as her music career, Tamta has also enjoyed success on the stage, receiving critical acclaim for her roles of Mimi in ‘Rent’ and Sally Bowles in ‘Cabaret’.
9. Tamta has long had the ambition of performing at Eurovision. In 2007 she participated in the Greek national final with the song ‘With Love’ but finished in third place. In 2009 she announced that she would like to represent Cyprus at Eurovision that year, the Greek media responded demanding that Greek Broadcaster ERT snap her up before it was too late. However, rumours did not materialise and neither nation chose her that year.
10. Ten years on and Tamta is finally getting her chance. She will represent Cyprus with ‘Replay’ in 2019. Her song was written by Alex P. who is also the man behind Cyrpus’ 2018 and best result at Eurovision to date ‘Fuego’. Tamta was also offered ‘Fuego’ last year, but was unable to go to Eurovision due to scheduling issues.