Claudia Pascoal has been selected to represent Portugal at Eurovision 2018. Following in the footsteps of last year’s winner Salvador Sobral, she is hoping to emulate his success on her home turf. Find out more about the singer with our 10 Things About…Claudia Pascoal!
1. Claudia Pascoal was born on 12 October 1994 in Gondomar, Portugal.
2. She is a singer known for her soul/indie/pop songs and her hair which changes from week to week. At the time of writing it was coloured pink.
3. As well as being a singer, Claudia also plays the guitar and ukulele.
4. In 2010, Claudia participated in talent show ‘Ídolos’. She did not make it through to the live finals and the season was won by Filipe Pinto and also featured Salvador Sobral who represented Portugal last year, winning with his song ‘Amar Pelos Dois’. She returned to the same competition again in 2015. She again did not make it to the live shows and the winner was announced as João Couto.
5. She continued to compete in reality singing competitions when in 2013 she participated in the first season of talent show ‘Factor X’. Again she was not one of the acts that made the final sixteen and didn’t compete in the live shows.
6. In 2014, Claudia auditioned to present talk show ‘Curto Circuito’ on SIC Radical, and ended up in third place.
7. In 2017, she auditioned for the fifth season of ‘The Voice Portugal’. This time she made it to the semi finals and finished in sixth place as part of Team Aurea. The show was won by Tomás Adrião.
8. In 2018, Claudia was one of 26 participants in the Portuguese Eurovision selection show Festival da Canção. Her song ‘O Jardim’ qualified from the semi final round and won the competition when she received a total of 22 points (10 from jury and 12 from the televote)
9. ‘O Jardim’ is written by Isaura, who explains that it is a dedication to her grandmother who she lost about a year ago who she was very close to. The song is specifically about a garden that her grandmother tended but uses this as a wider metaphor to speak of her relationship with her grandmother.
10. Isaura wanted Claudia specifically to sing on this song and issued her with an invitation Facebook. Claudia remarked in a recent interview that she cried when she received her message.
Check out ‘O Jardim’ here: