Bulgaria are to be represented by Equinox at Eurovision 2018. Find out more about the band and their members with our 10 Things About…Equinox!
1. Equinox are a five piece band consisting of the Bulgarian singers Vladimir Mihaylov, Georgi ‘JJ’ Simeonov, Zhana Bergendorff and American singers Johnny Manuel and Trey Campbell.
2. Vladimir provided the backing vocals on Bulgaria’s 2017 Eurovision song ‘Beautiful Mess’ for Kristian Kostov which finished in second place overall and won the Eurovision NI People’s Choice Award in 2017. He describes himself as ‘the silent rebel fighting against the status quo’. Despite this he is also the front man of the popular Bulgarian groups Safo and Sleng
3. As well as music, Vladimir is an accomplished actor, starring in two of the biggest films in Bulgaria in 2017 ‘Benzin (Heights)’ and ‘All She Wrote’. He has also been invited to play the leading roles in the Bulgarian production of Mamma Mia! and has done voice work in the Bulgarian versions of animated films ‘Frozen’ and ‘Tangled’.
4. Trey Campbell is one of the composers of the song ‘Bones’. His writing resume also includes songs for artists such as Dua Lipa, Bebe Rexha and Alexandra Stan.
5. Georgi Simeonov aka JJ is ‘a disciplined student who always gets full marks’. His first big break was as a member of popular Bulgarian boy band 032 when he was 16. Since then he has released solo material including the songs ‘Po-dobre, che razbrah’ and ‘Dilar na lubov’. He was also a contestant in the most recent edition of ‘X Factor Romania’.
6. In 2009 he started teaching pop, soul and RnB singing and has masterclasses in Sofia and Plovdiv. Every year together with his students he does charity concerts to help children suffering from a number of debilitating diseases and conditions.
7. Johnny Manuel is ‘the shy yet expressive soul’ of the group. Originally from Flint, Michigan he has been a performer since childhood and even toured with NSYNC when only 14. More recently he competed in America’s Got Talent in 2017, reaching the semi final round and went on to release the singles ‘Come Alive’ and ‘Blind Faith’.
8. Zhana Bergendorff has been described as ‘the wild soul of the group’. Coming from a family of musicians, she started singing at the age of 7. Having moved to Denmark with her Danish husband, she competed in ‘X Factor Denmark’, having previously won the second series of ‘Bulgarian X Factor’ in 2013.
9. She subsequently signed as an artist for Virginia Records and has had a string of singles that have performed well in Bulgaria. This includes she has had hits like ‘Dokrai (Докрай)’, ‘Igraem s teb do kraya’ and ‘Samurai’ which became the most broadcast song on Bulgarian radio for 5 weeks. Accolades include the award for the Bulgarian Debut of the year (2015) at the BG Radio Awards and Woman of the year 2014 from Grazia.
10. The song is written by Borislav Milanov, Trey Campbell, Joacim Persson and Dag Lundberg. This is the same team that have been behind the previous Bulgarian entries in 2016 and 2017. These were the best results for the nation to date with Poli Genova’s ‘If Love Were a Crime’ coming fourth and Kristian Kostov’s ‘Beautiful Mess’ coming in second.
Check out ‘Bones’ here: