Benjamin Ingrosso will represent Sweden at Eurovision 2018. Here’s 10 Things About…the singer!
1. Benjamin Daniele Wahlgren Ingrosso was born 14 September 1997 in Danderyd, Sweden and is a Pop/R&B singer/songwriter.
2. Benjamin comes from a talented family. He is the son of former dancer and now restaurant owner Emilio Ingrosso and singer Pernilla Wahlgren. His grandparents are the Swedish actors Hans Wahlgren and Christina Schollin, his uncles are the actors Niclas Wahlgren and Linus Wahlgren and his cousin Sebastian Ingrosso is in the band Swedish House Mafia.
3. He began his career as a young child performing in musicals and even won Lilla Melodifestivalen (the contest Sweden uses to select its song for the competition Melodi Grand Prix Nordic) in 2006 with the song ‘Hej Sofia’. He placed fourth out of nine songs.
4. In 2007, he released the music single ‘Jag är en astronaut’. This is a cover of a song that was originally recorded by Benjamin’s uncle Linus Wahlgren in 1985. Benjamin’s version peaked at number 2 on the Swedish singles chart.
5. Benjamin first rose to prominence on the stage starring in a number of musicals and plays. Between 2008 and 2009 he acted in the musical ‘Hujeda mej vá många sånger’, in late 2009 he played the lead role in ‘Rasmus på luffen’ and in 2011 he took on the role of Lillebror in the play ‘Karlsson på taket flyger igen’.
6. Benjamin has a history of collaborating with his mother. This includes participating in ‘Allsång på Skansen’, in 2009 the pair performed a medley of Jackson 5 songs at the Eldsjälsgala and since 2016 he has appeared in his mother’s TV series ‘Wahlgrens värld’ which is broadcast on Swedish channel Kanal 5.
7. Benjamin won the Swedish celebrity dancing TV series ‘Let’s Dance’ in 2014 alongside his professional dancing partner Sigrid Bernson (who he competed against in Melodifestivalen 2018).
8. In February 2014 Benjamin announced that he had left the musical scene to focus entirely on music and songwriting. This was followed up with the release of his first single in 2016 ‘Fall in Love’. He has since signed a record deal with TEN Music Group and released follow up songs ‘Crystal Clear’, ‘Love You Again’, ‘One More Time’ and ‘Do You Think About Me’
9. Benjamin first attempted to represent Sweden at Eurovision when he competed in Melfest 2017 with the song ‘Good Lovin’ which he co-wrote with Louis Schoorl and Matt Pardon. He made it to the final from the second semi-final, finishing in fifth place in the final, ultimately losing out to Robin Bengtsson.
10. Undeterred he returned as one of the 28 participants for Melfest 2018, competing with the song ‘Dance You Off’ and staging that saw a magnificent lights show and a leather jacket that he just couldn’t seem to keep around his shoulders. He topped both the televote and the international juries and finished first with 181 points, the clear winner a full 23 points ahead of second place singer and best friend Felix Sandman.
Check out ‘Dance You Off’ here: