Laura Rizzotto will represent Latvia at Eurovision 2018 with her song ‘Funny Girl’. Find out more about the singer with our 10 Things About…Laura Rizzotto!
1. Laura de Carvalho Rizzotto was born in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil on 18 July 1994. Her mother was born in Liepāja and was raised in Riga, while her father has joint citizenship of Brazil and Latvia.
2. Laura is a singer songwriter and can also play the guitar, ukulele and piano. she usually performs in pop, folk and pop rock genres.
3. Her family moved to the United States in 2005, and settled in Edina, Minnesota. She spent her childhood between Rio de Janeiro and the United States. After high school, she began attending Berklee College of Music in Boston. In 2013, Rizzotto moved to Los Angeles to attend the California Institute of the Arts, graduating with a degree in Musical Arts. Afterwards, she moved to New York City and received a Master’s degree in music from Columbia University in 2017.
4. Laura started performing her own songs in the music scene of Rio de Janeiro, at the age of 15. Her first record deal, with Universal Music Brazil, came up one year later, just after a record executive saw her performing live in the legendary jazz venue Modern Sound, in Copacabana.
5. She released her debut studio album ‘Made in Rio’ in 2011 through Universal Music Brazil, which included the single ‘Friend in Me’.
6. In 2012, she performed as the opening act for Demi Lovato during her ‘A Special Night with Demi Lovato’ performances in Brazil.
7. In 2014, she independently released her second studio album ‘Reason to Stay’ which featured the songs ‘Teardrops’ and ‘Reasons to Stay’.
8. From 2016 to 2017, she worked as the Portuguese language coach for Jennifer Lopez after being hired by Sony Music.
9. Since then Laura has embarked on a series of EPs entitled ‘Precious Stones’. The first of these ‘RUBY’ was released in 2017, featuring the singles ‘The High’ ‘Cherry On Top’ and ‘Red Flags’. The follow up ‘AMBER’, a tribute to her Latvian roots is due to be released in 2018.
10. In December 2017, Laura was announced as one of the competitors in Supernova 2018, the Latvian national selection for the Eurovision Song Contest 2018, with the song ‘Funny Girl’. She advanced to the televised rounds after being selected from both an online vote and live audition. She competed in the third semi-final on 17 February 2018, and became one of the two qualifiers to advance to the final on 24 February. On 24 February, she was crowned as the winner of the competition which was decided by a combination of jury, public, internet votes and streams on spotify.
Check out ‘Funny Girl’ below: