Melovin is Ukraine’s pick for Eurovision 2018. Here are 10 Things About the singer…
1. Mélovin (birth name Kostyantyn Mykolayovych Bocharov) was born on 11 April 1997 in Odessa in Ukraine.
2. Bocharov was born in Odessa to parents Nikolay Bocharov and Valentina Bocharova.
3. He became interested in music at a young age, and as a child would put on and perform in concerts at his school. He later began attending a music school, but left before graduating. He subsequently enrolled in a theatre school, which he graduated from.
4. He is a singer known for his electropop songs.
5. He auditioned for the ‘X-Factor Ukraine’ three times between 2012-2014 but he didn’t make it on to the televised episodes.
6. It wasn’t until his fourth attempt on season six of ‘X-Factor Ukraine’ that he rose to prominence. He performed such songs as Tom Odell’s ‘Can’t Pretend’, Pianoboy’s ‘Родина (Family)’ and ‘In The Shadows’ by the Rasmus. He won the contest in 2016.
7. As a result, he released his debut single ‘Ne odinokaya’.
8. His debut album ‘Face to Face’ was released in November 2017 and includes the singles ‘Wonder’, ‘Unbroken’ and ‘Hooligan’.
9. ‘Wonder’ served as Melovin’s song for Vibdir 2017, the national selection show for Ukraine’s Eurovision song. He qualified for the final along with five other artists. He came third behind Tayanna and the winners O. Torvald.
10. Melovin returned to Vibdir for a second bite at the cherry in 2018. This time he performed the song ‘Under the Ladder’. Again he made it to the final and was triumphant over the other five competitors. He came second with the juries and first in the televote (34%) giving him 11 points out of a maximum 12.
Check out ‘Under the Ladder’ here: