SuRie will represent the UK at Eurovision 2018. Get to know the singer better with 10 Things About…SuRie!
1. Susanna Marie Cork (better known as SuRie) is a British singer born in Harlow, Essex and raised in Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire.
2. 2018 is not her first foray into Eurovision. She previously provided backing vocals and was a dancer for for Belgian Eurovision artist Loïc Nottet in the 2015 Contest and was the musical director for Blanche in the 2017 Contest.
3. SuRie graduated from the Royal Academy of Music. She is classically trained and as well as being a vocalist, she can play piano and oboe.
4. SuRie started writing songs at just 12 years old.
5. She has had residencies in Jazz lounges in London.
6. SuRie also teaches at Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts in London.
7. She performed in front of the Prince of Wales as a child soloist.
8. She has recently provided backing vocals for both Will Young and Chris Martin of Coldplay.
9. SuRie will sing the song ‘Storm’ at Eurovision 2018. The song was penned by Nicole Blair, Gil Lewis and Sean Hargreaves.
10. SuRie was selected as the British Eurovision act for 2018 when she won the selection show ‘You Decide’. She competed against five other acts in a show hosted by Mel Giedroyc and 2015 Eurovision winner Mans Zelmerlow live from the Brighton Dome. Responding to her win at the live show she said she would celebrate with “…a bottle of something bubbly and a straw!”