Michael Schulte is Germany’s pick for Eurovision 2018. Find out more about the singer and what he has in store for us in Lisbon with our 10 Things About…Michael Schulte!
1. Michael Schulte was born in Dollerup, a small town on the German/Danish border on 30 April 1990 and is a German singer and songwriter.
2. He attended Duborg-Skolen, a Danish school, graduating in 2009. After this he completed his civil service. He currently resides in Buxtehude near Hamburg.
3. He began his singing career in 2008, posting covers on his YouTube channel. His YouTube channel has had more than 50 million views and has nearly 200,000 subscribers. Following his success on YouTube, he was able to sign to a management company Weinstein Media.
4. He competed in the first season of the Voice of Germany in 2012. His first audition saw him cover Adele’s ‘Set Fire to the Rain’.
5. He finished in third place on the Voice, losing out to the winner Ivy Quainoo. Michael did battle with Ivy again in the German Eurovision 2018 selection show Unser Lied fur Lissabon. This time he was victorious, winning with his song ‘You Let Me Walk Alone’ while Ivy finished in fourth place.
6. Following his stint on the Voice, Michael was signed by the German independent label Edel AG.
7. In 2012 Michael released his debut studio album ‘Wide Awake’. The album peaked at number 54 in the German charts.
8. The lead single from the album was called ‘Carry Me Home’. His other hits include the 2014 song ‘Thoughts’.
9. Michael’s song for Eurovision 2018 ‘You Let Me Walk Alone’ is written by Thomas Stengaard, Nisse Ingwersen, Nina Müller and Michael himself. He dedicates the song to the memory of his deceased father. This is also reflected in his live performance which has the backdrop of images of fathers spending time with their sons.
10. In the national selection Michael topped both the jury and the public vote, receiving a maximum 24 points, his nearest rival scored 18 points.
Check out Michael’s Eurovision song here: