Netta Barzilai was selected to represent Israel at the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest. Find out more about the singer…
1. Netta Barzilai was 22 January 1993 in Hod HaSharon, Israel.
2. Her career is in its early stages, but she regularly performs in clubs and at weddings in Tel Aviv.
3. She auditioned for this year’s ‘Israel’s Rising Star’, the show that is used to select the artist for the nation’s Eurovision entry for 2018. She impressed judges from the very start and became an early favourite.
4. She is known for her use of the instrument the looper which allows her to record her voice live and play it back while being able to add additional live vocals over the top. This earned her a reputation in the contest for performing various interesting mash ups and remixes.
5. Her performances on the show included: Christina Aguilera’s ‘Beautiful’, the Spice Girls’ ‘Wannabe’, Aqua’s ‘Barbie Girl’ and a mash up of Kesha and Psy’s ‘Tik Tok’ and ‘Gangnam Style’.
6. Her rendition of Izhar Cohen’s hit ‘A-Ba-Ni-Bi’, earned her praise from the singer who said she would be absolutely ‘fab’ for Eurovision.
7. Netta easily made it to the final of the show and beat off stiff competition from seasoned performers such as Jonathan Mergui, Riki Ben Ari and Chen Aharoni. She received a total of 104 points with second place Jonathan Mergui a full sixteen points behind on 88.
8. Netta is known for her quirky and unique sense of style. Her style has in the past been described as ‘kitschy and glitzy’.
9. Netta is the first female contestant to win ‘Israel’s Rising Star’ in its five seasons to date and she will be the first female to represent Israel at Eurovision since 2014.
10. Netta will sing the song ‘Toy’ in the the first semi-final of Eurovision 2018 in Lisbon on May 8.