Get to know Italian duo Ermal Meta and Fabrizio Moro better with our 10 Things About…Ermal and Fabrizio!
1. Ermal Meta was born 20 April 1981 and is an Italian-Albanian singer-songwriter. He was born in Fier, Albania, but later moved with his family at the age of 13 to Bari in Southern Italy. He was a member of Italian bands Ameba4 and La Fame di Camilla, both of which competed in the Newcomers’ section of the Sanremo Music Festival.
2. After becoming a songwriter for several Italian artists, he launched his solo career, releasing two studio albums: ‘Umano’ (2016) and ‘Vietato morire’ (2017). His second album peaked at number one in Italy, and was preceded by the single with the same title, which placed third in the main competition of the Sanremo Music Festival 2017, also receiving the ‘Mia Martini’ Critics’ Prize.
3. His songwriting credits include songs for Eurovision stars Marco Mengoni (Eurovision 2013), Emma (Eurovision 2014) and Chiara (Sanremo 2013, 2015 and 2017).
4. In March 2017, he was chosen as a judge on the sixteenth series of Italian talent show ‘Amici di Maria De Filippi’.
5. Ermal won the MTV Europe Music Awards for Best Italian Act in 2017.
6. Fabrizio Mobrici was born 9 April 1975 and goes by his stage name Fabrizio Moro. He is an Italian singer-songwriter and television presenter.
7. He has released multiple albums including ‘Fabrizio Moro’ (2000), ‘Ognuno ha quel che si merita’ (2005), ‘Pensa’ (2007), ‘Domani’ (2008), ‘Ancora Barabba’ (2010), ‘L’inizio’ (2013), ‘Via delle girandole 10’ (2015), ‘Pace’ (2017) and ‘Parole rumori e anni’ (2018). His first big commercial success came in 2007, after he won the Newcomers’ Section of the Sanremo Music Festival with his entry ‘Pensa’. The song became a number-one hit in Italy, while the album with the same title was certified gold by the Federation of the Italian Music Industry.
8. He has written songs for popular Italian artists including rock band Stadio who won the Sanremo Big Artists contest in 2016 but turned down appearing at Eurovision and pop singer and perennial Sanremo participant Noemi.
9. His TV presenting credits include seven episodes of the docu-reality programme ‘Sbarre’ (2011) broadcast by Rai 2.
10. The pair teamed up for the Sanremo Music Festival 2018 winning the Big Artists competition with the song ‘Non mi avete fatto niente’ (‘You Did Not Do Anything To Me’). The song was written by both Moro and Meta along with Andrea Febo in the wake of the Manchester terrorist attack. The song’s lyrics deal with wars across the world and terrorist attacks in Europe and Middle-East and mentions attacks on the cities of London, Paris, Nice, Cairo and Barcelona.