Alfred and Amaia are the duo that have been selected by Spain for Eurovision 2018. They will perform the song ‘Tu Cancion’ in the Grand Final in May. Get to know the couple better with our 10 Things About…Alfred and Amaia!
1. Alfred Garcia is a 20 year old singer who was born in the El Prat de Llobregat region of Barcelona, Catalunya. He began formal training in vocals and trombone at the age of seven and is also a self-taught guitarist, drummer, and keyboardist.
2. As well as being a musician, Alfred is studying for a degree in Audiovisual Communication, as well as being in his third year of a higher degree in Music and Jazz and Modern Music Studies at the Taller de Músics, a music school in Barcelona.
3. He comes from a family of musicians and has self-published three albums, the first of which was entitled ‘Beginning’ and released when he was fifteen. He also plans to release a feature film in 2018, for which he has also written the soundtrack.
4. One of his favourite singers is Michael Jackson.
5. In 2016 Alfred participated in season four of talent show ‘La Voz’, the Spanish version of ‘The Voice’. He performed John Mayer’s ‘Waiting on the World to Change’ in the Blind Auditions, but none of the coaches turned for him.
6. In 2017, Alfred auditioned for series nine of reality television music competition Operación Triunfo where he advanced to the show’s Academy. Here he met fellow contestant Amaia. The two hit it off and began dated during the show. Both singers made it to the final of the show where their duet ‘Tu Cancion’ was selected to be the Spanish Eurovision song for 2018.
7. Amaia Romero Arbizu was born in Pamplona, Navarra, Spain on 3 January 1999. She is a Spanish singer who earlier this year finished her high school studies. She is currently completing a professional degree in piano but her preferred instrument is her voice. She also plays the guitar, the ukulele, and drums.
8. Among her favourite artists are Marisol and The Beatles.
9. Like Alfred, she has competed in a number of talent shows in her early career. In 2010, Romero participated in the children’s talent show ‘Cántame una canción’ on Telecinco and in 2012, she took part in the first series of Antena 3’s ‘El Número Uno’ but she was eliminated in week six of the series.
10. Alfred and Amaia were selected to represent Spain at Eurovision 2018 with song ‘Tu Cancion’. It received 43% of the votes out of the three songs that made it to the final round of voting. As one of the Big Five countries they will automatically qualify for the Grand Final on 12 May.