Want to know more about the Finnish 2018 Eurovision representative Saara Aalto? We’ve got you covered with our 10 Things About…Guide!
1. Saara Aalto was born on 2 May 1987
2. Saara is known for performing in the pop genre but has also supported international Classical Music singers such as Jose Carreras, Andrea Bocelli and pianist Robert Wells.
3. Saara first rose to fame in the first series of TV talent show Finland’s Got Talent in 2007. She performed as a pianist and vocalist but she placed second, losing out to beatboxer Aleksi Vähäpassi.
4. This was the first in a long line of second placings in TV talent shows for Saara. She returned to our screens in The Voice of Finland in 2012. She sang Celine Dion’s ‘Taking Chances’, Cyndi Lauper’s ‘True Colours’ and country classic ‘What Hurts the Most’. She again made it to the final but placed second to Mikko Sipola.
5. Saara’s third talent search TV show saw her shift her attention from Finland to the UK when she auditioned for the thirteenth series of X-Factor UK. Although she placed in the bottom two in the first two weeks of the live shows, she managed to turn it around with performances of songs like ‘It’s Oh So Quiet’ by Bjork and Abba’s ‘The Winner Takes It All’. She made it to the live final but couldn’t break the second place curse, this time losing out to Matt Terry. Since her appearance on X-Factor UK, Saara has been chosen as a judge for the Finnish version of the show. She also discovered her long lost brother after he saw her performing on the X-Factor UK.
6. Saara has taken part in the Finnish selection show for Eurovision on two occasions competing with ‘Blessed with Love’ (2011) and ‘No Fear’ (2016). Guess what? She finished second on both occasions.
7. Saara is also a voice actress, she has voiced Anna in the Finnish dubbed version of ‘Frozen’. Her other acting credits include voicing characters in the Finnish versions of ‘The Tale of Despereaux’, ‘Alice in Wonderland’, ‘Brave’ and ‘Rise of the Guardians’.
8. Saara can sing the song ‘Let it Go’ from ‘Frozen’ in fifteen different languages.
9. Saara founded her own record label Yume Records, which has released all of her five albums; ‘Blessed With Love’ (2011), ‘Enkeleitä’ (Angels) (2011), ‘You Had My Heart’ (2013), ‘Ai De Zhu Fu’ (2013, in Chinese) and the duet album ‘Tonight’ (2015) alongside Teemu Roivainen.
10. Saara dated singer Teemu Roivainen but the couple broke up in 2013 after nine years together. Subsequently Saara began a relationship with a female fan, personal trainer and life coach, Meri Sopanen. The couple got engaged on their two-year anniversary in August 2016. Saara now identifies as a lesbian.
Saara will represent Finland at Eurovision 2018. She will showcase three songs on 3 March for the Finnish public to choose from.