Robin Bengtsson won the Swedish Eurovision selection show Melodifestivalen in 2017 with song ‘I Can’t Go On’ and he will represent the nation in Kiev. Ahead of that we get to know him a little bit better with our feature article 10 Things About…Robin Bengtsson!
1. Robin Bengtsson is a 26 year old singer who was born in Svenljunga in Sweden.
2. Know for his pop style he competed in the 2008 series of Idol (the Swedish Pop Idol) competition. He finished in third place behind winner Kevin Borg and runner up Alice Svensson.
3. Following his appearance on Idol, Robin was signed to record label Merrion Music.
4. Here he released his debut single ‘Another Lover’s Gone’ which peaked at number 8 on the Swedish pop charts.
5. In 2010, Robin took part in the charity song ‘Wake Up World’ for ‘Hjälp Haiti’ alongside Karl Martindahl and Daniel Karlsson.
6. His debut album ‘Sleep On It’ was released in 2013 and spawned the hit singles ‘I Don’t Like to Wait’, ‘Sleep On It’ and ‘Fired’ featuring rapper J Son.
7. In 2010, Robin Bengtsson participated in the Scandinavian version of Wipeout, reaching the final round and finishing second.
8. Robin made his Melfest debut in 2016 and qualified for the final with his song ‘Constellation Prize’ having won his semi final. He finished in fifth place overall behind Wiktoria, Ace Wilder, Oscar Zia and eventual winner Frans.
9. Robin returned to Melfest the following year with ‘I Can’t Go On’. Again he sailed through to the final, qualifying directly from semi final three which he again won. Although he only finished third in the televote in the final of Melfest with over 1.4 million votes, he performed better with the international juries and was selected as the overall winner to represent Sweden at Eurovision 2017.
10. ‘I Can’t Go On’ was written by the 2013 Swedish Eurovision entrant Robin Stjernberg and David Kreuger who has written for L.F.O., Eric Saade’s 2015 Melfest song ‘Sting’ and the Westlife song ‘If I Let You Go’.
Check out some of Robin’s previous songs in our YouTube playlist: