Poland chose Kasia Mos as their singer for Eurovision 2017 through their national selection show Krajowe Eliminacje. She will sing ‘Flashlight’ in Kiev and we get to know a little bit more about her with 10 Things About…Kasia Mos!
1. Katarzyna “Kasia” Moś was born on 3 March 1987 (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!) and is a Polish singer and songwriter.
2. Kasia is the daughter of Marek Moś, who is a famous Polish conductor , violinist and chamber musician, and who is the Artistic Director of the chamber orchestra AUKSO.
3. Kasia’s own merits include graduating from the Frederic Chopin Music School in Bytom, where she studied cello and piano and going on to earn a degree in jazz and contemporary music, graduating from Karol Szymanowski Vocal Academy of Music in Katowice.
4. Kasia began her professional singing career at the age of fifteen when she began to attend vocal classes by Elżbiety Chlebek. From there she worked with ensembles such as, among others, Stetsons and Big Band Lotharsi, as well as with the group The Fire, which consisted of teachers and students of the jazz department at the Katowice Academy of Music.
5. Her recording career began in 2002 when she recorded her first demo. Among the writing team for the demo was Robert Janson, the founder of Varius Manx.
6. In 2005, she released ‘I Wanna Know’, which she performed in Piosenka dla Europy 2006, Poland’s national final for the Eurovision Song Contest. The song however was not selected for Eurovision, finishing in tenth place.
7. In 2011, Moś traveled to Las Vegas, United States, where she met American producer Robin Antin, founder of the girl band The Pussycat Dolls. After returning to Poland, she recorded several demo songs and sent them to Atkins. Later in the year, she traveled to the United States again, after being asked by Atkins to join The Pussycat Dolls Burlesque Revue with which she performed at the Viper Room. During the half-a-year contract, she collaborated with singers such as Kelly Osbourne, Mýa and Carmen Electra.
8. In 2012, Kasia auditioned for the third series of the Polish version of Must Be the Music. During her audition she performed “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” by Aretha Franklin. She made it all the way to the final and finished third overall.
9. In October 2015, she released her debut studio album ‘Inspination’. ‘Addiction’ (one of the album’s tracks) qualified to Krajowe Eliminacje 2016, Poland’s national final for the Eurovision Song Contest 2016. However the song only placed in sixth, losing out to Michal Szpak.
10. Her Eurovision 2017 song ‘Flashlight’ draws attention to persecution. Kasia said this of the song:
“For me it was mainly about all the poor animals. But it can also go for refugees and anyone who does not feel safe and has to flee from the place where they left their family, their home, and their life…”
Listen to some of Kasia’s previous hits in our YouTube playlist: