Manel Navarro will represent Spain at Eurovision 2017 with his song ‘Do It For Your Lover’. We get to know him a little better with our feature article: 10 Things About…Manel Navarro!
1. Manel Navarro Quesada is a 20 year old Spanish singer, songwriter, and guitarist.
2. He was born in Sabadell, Barcelona.
3. He usually writes in English with acoustic and electronic arrangements, but always with his guitar.
4. Manel began his singing career by posting popular cover versions of pop songs to YouTube.
5. He first received widespread prominence in 2014, when he won the second edition of the regional contest for young singers, Catalunya Teen Star, with an acoustic cover of Drake’s song Hold On, We’re Going Home’.
6. Following his victory, he was signed to record label TeenStarRecords, and released his debut single ‘Brand New Day’ on 4 December 2014.
7. Manel Navarro served as the opening act at Sweet California’s 2015 tour Wonder Tour.
8. In 2015, Navarro was signed to Sony Music Spain releasing his first single with the label ‘Candle’ on 24 June 2016, which reached number two at Spotify’s Viral 50 chart in Spain.
9. His Eurovision 2017 song is called ‘Do It For Your Lover’ and is co-written by Manel and Spanish song-writer Antonio Rayo ‘Rayito’.
10. Manel competed in the Spanish Eurovision selection show in 2017 Objetivo Eurovision. Manel was favourite with the jury, while Mirela won the public vote. When the scores were totted up the two had tied on 58 points a piece. In a controversial decision, in the event of a tie, it was decided that the winner would be decided by the jury vote. Therefore Manel will represent Spain and Eurovision 2017, although some fans were outraged saying that the rightful winner was Mirela.
Have a listen to some of Manel’s previous hits in our YouTube playlist: