Eurovision news has kicked into overdrive this week with more countries beginning their national selection searches, news regarding the Eurovision proceedings in May and more details on announced artists’ songs.
1. Switzerland pick were the only country to choose their song this week, when earlier this evening they chose Timebelle as their representative and they will sing ‘Apollo’ in Kiev in May. Full story>>>
2. A Dal’s third show took place this weekend. Gigi Radics and TOTOVA will join the likes of Kallay Saunders Band, Peet Project and Leander Kills in the next round, next week. Full story>>>
3. Israel’s selection stepped up a notch this week with the two quarter final shows. This eliminated all but six acts who will do battle in the semi finals next week. Full story>>>
4. Ukraine kicked off the defence of their Eurovision crown with the first of their semi final shows on Saturday evening. Advancing to the final were Tyanna and Salto Nazad who will be joined by four more acts over the next two weeks. Full story>>>
5. Sweden’s marathon selection show Melodifestivalen staged its first heat on Saturday evening with two acts (Nano and Ace Wilder) advancing to the live final in March, while Boris Rene and De Vet Du will get a second chance. Full story>>>
6. Latvia’s Supernova had its first Quarter Final this weekend. Miks Dukurs and Linda Leen were among the acts who will go through to the next round. Full story>>>
7. While the selection shows are in full swing, Kiev officially became the Eurovision host city, in a handover ceremony held in the capital’s Column Hall.
8. Also part of this ceremony was the Eurovision Semi Final allocation draw which announced which countries would compete in each of the semi finals and also revealed which of the Big Five and Ukraine would vote in each of the semi finals. Full story>>>
9. NTU also revealed the slogan for Eurovision 2017 will be ‘Celebrate Diversity’ and the branding for the Contest will feature a beaded necklace which represent nations interlinked together.
10. We also got a sneak peek at the stage designs for the 2017 Contest. Designed by Florian Weider, it puts the artist centre stage and lets them get as close as possible to the audience. Full story>>>
11. Four artists gave further details about the release of their Eurovision songs. Brendan Murray has travelled to Sweden to meet with a world class producer, O’G3NE (whose song will be written by their father) and Nathan Trent (who has written his own song) gave us dates for their song release and Hovig has revealed the title of his song will be ‘Gravity’. Full story>>>
12. Serbia revealed that they will, for the second year in a row, choose their artist and song by internal selection.
14. There were a number of new song releases from past Eurovision participants this week including Russia’s 2008 winner Dima Bilan, Kaliopi from Macedonia and Robin Stjernberg from Sweden. Check them out here>>>
15. Finally the announcement was made that Eurovision tickets will go on sale next week with a varying price range. Full story>>>
Check back next week when we will have even more Eurovision news to share!