Greece chose Demy as their singer for Eurovision 2017 through internal selection. But what makes her tick? We have a look at her career to date in our 10 Things About…Demy!
1. Demy (full name Dimitra Papadea) is a Greek singer widely known as the Greek Princess of Pop and she cites Jazz, Soul, Rock and Roll, and R n B are cited as musical influences.
2. At the age of five, she started taking piano lessons, something she continues to do to this day. Demy also currently takes vocal lessons.
3. As well as being an accomplished singer in Greece, Demy has followed in her father and sister’s footsteps and is currently studying law in Athens. She has stated that she still aspires to finish law school, and not devote herself to music exclusively, even though her popularity as a musician is increasing.
4. Her favourite song growing up was ‘I’m Like a Bird’ by Nelly Furtado.
5. Demy has won a whopping 10 MAD Video Music Awards between 2012 and 2016. She was nominated for a total of 25 awards in this period. During her acceptance speech at the 2012 MAD Video Music Awards, Demy mentioned how she had watched the awards the year before on television and dreamed of one day winning one. One year later, her dream became a reality. In addition to the MAD Awards, Demy was also honoured at the MTV EMAs, winning Best Greek Act in 2013.
6. Demy’s first big hit was appearing on the Midenistis song ‘Mia Zografia’, which was a huge success in both Greece and Cyprus.
7. Her first solo effort ‘Poses Hiliades Kalokeria (How Many Thousand Summers) went to number one on the Billboard Greece chart and remained there for a further nine weeks.
8. Over the next four years Demy released the albums #1 (2012) and Rodino Oneiro (2014) which spawned various hit singles including ‘You Fooled Me’, ‘Love Light’, ‘The Sun’, ‘Nothing Better’, ‘Falling’, ‘Meno’ and ‘Oso O Kosmos Tha Exei Esena’
9. As well as music, Demy has also starred in a number of musicals including Fame The Musical, Priscilla The Musical, The Sound Of Music, Addams Family and she will join the cast of Mamma Mia in 2017.
10. The Greek Eurovision artist announcement for 2017 was fraught with confusion. Before Greek broadcaster ERT announced Demy was their final choice, reports were that former Greek Eurovision contestants Elena Paparizou or Kalomira could be poised to make a return, that there could be a national selection process for the artist, or also that ERT had whittled the artist down to two picks (Stereo Soul and Demy).
Check out our Youtube playlist of Demy songs.