DiHaj will represent Azerbaijan at Eurovision 2017. Find out more about her, with our 10 Things About…DiHaj feature!
1.Dihaj (full name Diana Hajiyev) is an Azerbaijani singer who was born in Baku in 1989 and specialises in the indie pop genre.
2. Dihaj will represent Azerbaijan at Eurovision 2017, but this is not the first time the singer has sought to represent her nation in the Contest. In 2011 she competed in the televised competition to choose the Azerbaijani entry. She competed in heat six and finished fourth, failing to advance to the next round. The contest was eventually won by Eldar and Nigar who went on to win the Eurovision Song Contest that year.
3. Last year, DiHaj also worked with Eurovision artist Samra, providing backing vocals for her song ‘Miracle’.
4. Diana graduated from the Baku Music Academy with a Bachelor’s Degree in Choral Conducting. She began producing experimental music while attending The Institute of Contemporary Music Performance in London, where she became involved with the local underground music scene.
5. Shortly after graduation she launched DIHAJ, a live trio, comprised of two other musicians: Ali on drums and Anar on electric guitar, with Diana herself producing and providing lead vocal.
6. DiHaj’s first big single was called ‘I Break Again’ which debuted on YouTube in 2014. It was co-written by Diana and world famous jazz pianist Isfar Sarabsky.
7. DiHaj’s style has been described as experimental which is evident from her back catalogue of hits including ‘Complain’, ‘Gelecer kecir’, ‘Find Yourself’ and ‘Me’ which employ synth and electronica alongside her haunting vocals.
8. She remarks how she uses ethereal guitar sequences, melancholic breathy vocals punctuated by progressive drum patterns to create a peculiar sonic texture, and describes her style as“immersive doom pop”.
9. Dihaj has played at some major European music festivals including Dutch festival Women in Paradise in 2015, Kulturos Naktis in Lithuania and Tbilisi’s Open Air Alter / Vision, in 2016.
10. Diana is very close to Azerbaijan’s 2015 representative Elnur. She has collaborated with him on a number of songs including ‘Romeo’ and ‘Lady’.
Check out some of DiHaj’s hits in our YouTube playlist: