It’s been a busy week for Eurovision. Read on to read our recap of all the news, gossip and national finals activity that occurred this week!
1. Israel’s national selection show ‘Israel’s Rising Star’ kicked off in style this week with the first of its heats. The new judging panel consisting of Harel Skaat, Keren Peles, Static, Ben-El Tavori and Assaf Amdursky. The first batch of hopefuls took to the stage in the hopes of making it through to the next round. Nine acts advance to round two from the first two shows including Imri Ziv. Full story>>>
2. A number of former Eurovision stars released new music this week. First up we had a new video from Armenia’s Iveta Mukuchyan who debuted song ‘Keep On Lying’.
3. Electro Velvet singer Alex Larke also revealed the video for his new song ‘Shine On’. Watch video here>>>
4. Russian Eurovision stars Polina Gagarina, Sergey Lazarev and Dima Bilan formed a temporary supergroup to cover ABBA’s Eurovision hit ‘Waterloo’. Full story>>>
5. The singer Slavko Kalezic who will represent Montengro at Eurovision 2017, revealed that he was not the nation’s first choice for the role. Full story>>>
6. Greece set out to clear up any confusion about their Eurovision intentions. There is to be no selection show and the internal selection has been narrowed down to two artists: Demy and Stereo Soul. Therefore neither Elena Paparizou nor Kalomira would be returning in 2017. Full story>>>
7. Kalomira has however returned with a new song entitled ‘Shoot ’em Down’
8. With just a week away from Hungary’s A Dal kicking off, not one but two acts were forced to withdraw, with Jetlag being replaced by Chase and song ‘Dust in the Wind’ and Szabyest’s ‘Szerelem kell’ being replaced by Rocketnors’ ‘Ősz’. Full A Dal Line Up>>>
9. Johnny Logan has responded to Louis Walsh’s request for him to write a song for Ireland’s 2017 act Brendan Murray. Full story>>>
10. The 2017 Azeri representative DiHaj released new music this week. Check out the video for her new single ‘Esqini Asagi Sal (Lower Your Love)’
11. San Marino broadcaster SMRTV hit back at singer Tony Maiello who had claimed the broadcaster approached him to represent the micro state at Eurovision 2017, but wanted €500,000 for the opportunity. SMRTV this week denied any communication with the singer. Instead Italian singer Arisa has been rumoured to take the Eurovision helm for San Marino in 2017. Full story>>>
12. Nathan Trent who will represent Austria at Eurovision 2017 revealed this week that he co-wrote the song he will sing at Eurovision.
13. Germany have announced the five acts who will compete in their national final on 9th February. Full story>>>
14. Jedward returned to the Celebrity Big Brother this weekend and didn’t get off to the beat start with one of the twins seriously injuring his leg. Full story>>>
15. Finally Lithuania kicked off their national selection show Eurovizijos. With six of the thirteen acts advancing from the first live show including Edgaras Lubys who won the first heat with song ‘Could It Be?’ Full story>>>
Check back next week when we will have even more Eurovision news to share!