Nobody really knows who is going to win for sure at the Eurovision. You can use various different sources as indicators to the popularity of each song. You could go with the bookies’ odds, marks that critics and experts give each entry, what the fans have to say through polls or comments or the amount of followers each act has on Twitter.
Here at Eurovision 2014 Blog, we have decided that we are going to use YouTube hits as the main way of determining how likely it is an act will win. The way we went about collecting the data is by typing the term ‘Eurovision 2014 Official’ followed by the name of the country for each entry. We then went with the video with the most views for that entry on the first page of video results.
We recognise that there are some flaws in this system as some songs have multiple videos on the site. In addition to this we recognise that some songs were picked (in some cases months) earlier than others and therefore have had more of an opportunity to garner more views.
In addition to this we admit that most people are likely to only view the entry for their own country, and therefore countries with larger populations may be more likely to have more views than smaller countries. Having said that the results are in and we think they are accurate. So with out further ado here is the top 10 most viewed videos and the 5 least viewed videos for Eurovision 2014. We will update this weekly every monday until the Final, to see if anything changes. So Check back then to see the findings.
Top 10 YouTube Views (as of Sunday 13th April 2014)
1. Aram MP3- Not Alone (Armenia) 1,904,541
2. Conchita Wurst- Rise Like a Phoenix (Austria) 1,453,686
3. Freaky Fortune feat. RiskyKidd- Rise Up (Greece) 835,878
4. Sergej Cetkovic- Moj Svijet (Montenegro) 752,667
5. Sanna Nielsen- Undo(Sweden) 600,788
6. Tolmachevy Sisters- Shine (Russia) 570,921
7. Emma- La Mia Citta (Italy) 544,843
8. Ruth Lorenzo- Dancing in the Rain (Spain) 544,520
9. Molly- Children of the Universe (United Kindom) 529,645
10. Dilara Kazimova- Start A Fire (Azerbaijan) 494,645
At the bottom end of the spectrum we have:
33. Suzy- Quero Ser Tua (Portugal) 121,169
34. Axel Hirsoux- Mother (Belgium) 118,704
35. Softengine- Something Better (Finland) 113,047
36. Cristina Scarlat- Wild Soul (Moldova) 113,019
37. Aarzemmnieki- Cake to Bake (Latvia) 111,805